Culinary adventures of late
In the last week, I’ve had some pretty notable new culinary adventures:
- Dinner with the fella at a wonderful new Italian restaurant — eggplant parmesan, why did I avoid you? You’re so delicious, and you last well for lunch the next day (Suriously. I was surprised!).
- A failed attempt at a new Indian dish, Vegetables Korma — it was waaaaaaay too sweet for our tastes! Live and learn.
- Sampling the fella’s first attempt at cooking fresh scallops — he did much better than my first time!
- Making my own Caesar dressing from scratch — I modified this recipe and used raw egg whites (eeeeep!), but I found another one after some diligent web-surfing. I’m not a big fan of mayo and I’d rather not risk salmonella…
- Related: making a super delicious Caesar salad wrap for dinner — YUM!
Sharing a Recipe: Spicy Stir-fry with Tofu
This is my favorite new recipe, and it’s so unbelievably easy to make! I use a frozen vegetable medley from Costco - it’s perfect and a real time-saver. If you prefer, you can prep your own assorted fresh veggies.
2 cups frozen vegetable medley
1 cup pad thai noodles
1/4 cup tofu - I use super firm and squeeze the excess liquid
For the sauce:
1 Tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 large lime
Sriracha (my application might be a little liberal for some, so squeeze to taste)
Prepare noodles, drain, set aside. Saute olive oil and garlic on medium high heat, then add tofu. Squeeze the lime over the assortment and drizzle Sriracha to taste. Add frozen vegetables and reduce heat to medium. Once the vegetables are thawed, add in noodles, stir, and enjoy!
Adapted Guacamole Recipe
It’s summer time, and the boyfriend and I love nibbling on guac and chips as a snack. We modified this recipe to fit our tastes:
2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup diced onion
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
In a bowl, mash together the avocados. Mix in lime juice, onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in salt and cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.